ArchiCAD is an architectural BIM CAD software tool developed by Graphisoft. It offers specialized solutions for handling all common aspects of aesthetics and engineering during the whole design process of the built environment — buildings, interiors, urban areas, etc.
ArchiCAD is recognized as the first CAD product on a personal computer able to create both 2D drawings and parametric 3D geometry. Third-party vendors and manufacturers of architectural products have compiled libraries of architectural components for use in ArchiCAD. The program includes Geometric Description Language (GDL) used to create new components.
Various free and commercial add-on products and extensions add extra functionality to ArchiCAD or provide further data exchange possibilities with other software applications. ArchiCAD introduces a comprehensive ecosystem of solutions to ease the creation, sharing, and finding of custom BIM Components.
Why should you learn?
ArchiCAD is a complete design suite with 2D and 3D drafting, visualization and other functions for architects, designers and planners. By learning ArchiCAD, you will learn a wide range of software applications that would cover most of the design needs of an architectural office such as:
2D CAD - drawing tools for creating accurate and detailed technical drawings.
3D Modeling - a 3D CAD interface specially developed for architects capable of creating various kind of building forms.
Architectural rendering and Visualization software - a high performance rendering tool to produce photorealistic pictures or videos.
Desktop publishing - with similar features to mainstream DTP software to compose printed materials using technical drawings pixel-based images and texts.
Document management - a central data storage server with remote access, versioning tool with backup and restore features
Building information modeling software - not just a collection of the above mentioned applications with an integrated user interface but a novel approach to building design called BIM
At CADD Centre, we help you master the following capabilities of ArchiCAD:
- ArchiCAD’S MORPH feature which allows you to create element with any custom geometry in an intuitive graphical way, featuring popular modeling techniques. The MORPH tool is an optimal solution for creating custom BIM components, custom structures, and custom elements of the built environment as well as custom-designed building interiors.
- ArchiCAD’s new modeling capabilities, connected with the cloud-based BIM Component database that allow you to create, search, upload, and download custom BIM components of your choice.
- The built-in Energy Evaluation functionality of ArchiCAD which allows architects to perform reliable dynamic energy evaluation of their BIM model within ArchiCAD, relying on BIM geometry analysis and accurate hour-by-hour online weather data of the building’s location.
- New features of ArchiCAD's 3D editing workflows and performance.
- You will learn to work with data-enhanced parametric objects, often called "smart objects" by users.
- You will learn to create a "virtual building" with virtual structural elements like walls, slabs, roofs, doors, windows and furniture; and use a large variety of pre-designed, customizable objects come with the program.
- You will know how to work with either a 2D or 3D representation on the screen; export two-dimensional drawings.
- You will know how to generate plans, elevations, and sections from the three dimensional virtual building model and update changes.